Writer - Visual Learning (social sciences, finance, philosophy, history, STEM, and more)
At Imprint, our mission is to make the world's most important knowledge easy to learn, internalize, and apply to your life. We’ve created a new format for visual nonfiction content, designed from the ground up for the mobile use case, that helps readers stay focused, understand complex ideas, and retain what they learn.
Launched in 2020, Imprint is already one of the most downloaded and highest grossing education apps on the App Store and Google Play. But we’re just getting started, and are continuing to rapidly iterate and launch innovative new products that further our mission of effective learning.
Our team of writers, designers, visual artists, product managers, and engineers are deeply experienced in mobile storytelling and educational content. Our CEO, Daniel Terry, previously founded and led Pocket Gems and Episode Interactive, leading mobile companies which have reached 300 million users, raised over $150 million from Sequoia and Tencent, and collectively generated over $1 billion in revenue.
This role, the Writer/Editor, will collaborate with our team of editors, designers, illustrators, and animators to create innovative visual learning experiences.
We’re looking for someone who can quickly research and understand complex topics, and then produce written explanations that make this knowledge accessible to anyone. This person will also create diagrams, flowcharts, visual metaphors, and other images that will supplement written content, reinforce key ideas, and demystify challenging topics.
The role reports to our Director of Learning and can be either remote or based in our New York office. We are accepting applications for both full-time and contract positions. Full-time candidates must be based in the US.
- Research complex topics in various fields. Areas could include: psychology, economics, finance, management, personal development, history, philosophy, physical sciences, and more.
- Concisely summarize and explain key ideas from bestselling books, articles, courses, and other source material.
- Propose visual concepts that communicate complex ideas in elegant ways. Think more sketching than illustrating. You don’t need to be a designer or artist to succeed in this role, but you do need to be a great analytical thinker.
- Collaborate with designers, illustrators, and animators to bring your visual explanations to life.
- You’re an exceptional verbal and written communicator.
- You're a fast learner, and comfortable digging into complex topics from various fields.
- You’ve got 2+ years experience working in fast-paced, self-directed, deadline-driven environments.
- You love reading and learning new things.
Nice to have
- A PhD, advanced degree, or expertise in psychology, social science, economics, STEM, philosophy, or related fields.
- Experience in educational content or journalism.
We encourage people from non-traditional backgrounds to apply. If you're excited about what we're building but you think only a few items in this job description apply to you, we encourage you to apply. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.